Friday, June 11, 2010

What is Your Legacy?

I met with a friend of mine Wednesday over some french fries and sweet tea (I know...BAD lunch) to discuss our hearts' passion for Biblical mothering.  We have the same heartbeat and have been very blessed to see the fruit from stepping out and following God's leading in this area. 

One thing we discussed is that many of the women who reject Biblical motherhood or who do not live their lives according to scriptural design, do it because they they don't KNOW what Biblical motherhood looks like, not because they are in rebellion (granted, there are some).  Because our society defines success as a move up the career ladder, Biblical motherhood has been lost in a crowd of conflicting ideas.  Even in our churches today, pastors and leaders will not stand up and teach what Biblical motherhood looks like. It would infuriate much of the congregation and step on many of the pastor's toes in the process.



My prayer for mothers is simple. That through much prayer and obedience to what God is asking me to teach on, share about and live my live as an example of, He will deeply move a generation of mothers to step up and be a mom first and foremost, above superficial success of career. To encourage young mothers to seek God's design for mothering.  To be bold and courageous enough to go against the flow, to swim up stream from societies goals and ridicule. That when their children are grown, they may "rise up and call her blessed" Proverbs 31:28 for staying the course even when it looked so different from the others around her. To encourage women to leave a strong Biblical imprint on their children's lives...to leave a Godly legacy for generations to come.

"It is not simply a lifestyle choice. It is a divine calling that will indeed affect eternity."
Sally Clarkson, Mission of Motherhood, pg 16


I am IN NO WAY saying that I have it all together, or that I know all the answers, but I do know the one who does.  I have a Savior who left a great love letter to me that includes life's instructions.  He has laid out the road signs...it's up to me to choose to follow them.

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you."
Matthew 6:33. 


1 comment: