Sunday, October 17, 2010

Admonishment

As I read in Ephesians 6 this morning, I read verse 4 that says "And, ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord."  I have read this verse many times and even quoted it in jest to my dad as a kid...but today I was wondering, what does admonishing mean? I had always remembered it being translated as instruction, and although nurture means tutorage and training, admonish does not. 

So I looked up the Greek word. "calling attention to, i.e. (by impl.) mild rebuke or warning". That is different. The directions from the Lord are to tutor or train our children and call attention with MILD rebuke! I know that I would rather the Lord show me in his Word how I am supposed to live, and give me ample tries to walk out His instructions, than for Him to tell me once and then strike me down if I fail.  I am thankful for a God that shows men and women how to love their children.  I am thankful that even when we mess up, He is Faithful and can remedy the situation if we turn to Him for help. I am thankful for a husband who leads with a soft hand and words of instruction.


I am praying for Fathers...that they would have a heart of instruction and mild rebuke after God heart.  That a hard hand and a loud bark is not what our children remember about their Dads. We are Earthly example of our Creator.

My disclaimer:
(I don't think that the term mild rebuke means you simply lecture your children on what all they need to be doing and aren't.  Using time-out, redirection and even spanking...I know...the S word...are all tools that help train and rebuke children. The Bible does say in  Proverbs 22, 23 and 29 that spanking is a tool to be used in discipline. I think to do that Mildly means to not act out of our anger and to use it WHEN appropriated by "in your face" rebellion, not just because the child made a mistake.)

1 comment: