Sunday, November 28, 2010

Intentionality

Intentionality...to be purposeful on purpose. This is how I defined Intentional to my children today as we discussed Christmas.  I asked them "Why do we celebrate Christmas." They answered "to honor Christ's birth."  I then asked them "What do we do to honor Christ's birth?"  And they reminded me how we read the Biblical account of the birth of Christ, sing Happy Birthday to Jesus and even have a birthday cake.  Then I posed yet another question..."How many times do we do that during the Christmas season?"

ONCE, on Christmas!

Being intentional about not participating in the secular bustle of Christmas, has NOT, by default, made us intentional about celebrating and honoring the birth of our Saviour, Jesus. Sure, we talk about Jesus...but that is NORMAL in our home.  It is our daily conversation.  We try to focus on others and how we can bless them with gifts instead of making lists and being self centered during this season. BUT, we have to purposefully make a choice to be purposeful! We must choose to, on purpose, honor Christ. As a parent, I want to have traditions that kindle a flame for Christ...middle ground is gray, stagnant water and can lull us to sleep!

This year we have been brainstorming ways we can be intentional about honoring Christ this season...what that means and how to tangibly remember the Awesome God we serve. I know as we seek to bring honor to Jesus, he will show us how!

I am still learning. I don't care for the middle ground. I am pressing in.  As I draw near to God...He chastens me.  He burns away the chafe. He purifies me more...and yet I see my need for Him grow stronger.

1 comment:

  1. yesterday we talked about being intentional in sharing Christ with others...it is our obligation. The more I realize we are to be intentional in our parenting...be intentional this Christmas..intentional in sharing Christ...it's obvious to me that God has designed us to be intentional beings....always prepared and ready to do the things He has called us to do. So excited about cookies Friday....will enjoy fellowship with you!

    ReplyDelete